Listen to the audio and answer the questions.
1. Where has the family moved from?
2. How did the author describe the families move?
3. In the story, the author mentioned what his wife did for a living. What job did she do?
4. What was the name of the authors wife?
e. Not stated
5. The author's wife worked as;
a. A registered nurse
b. A district nurse
c. A midwife
d. Not mentioned
6. The author's wife;
a. Found a new job
b. Is being interviewed for a new job
c. Is looking for a new position
d. Not mentioned
7. How did the author describe where the family used to live?
8. How does the author describe where the family live now?
9. The family;
a. Have bought a new house
b. Have viewed a nice house
c. Have rented a flat
d. Have rented a house
10. Which sector does the author work in?
11. What does the authors wife hope for?
12. How many bedrooms do they have?
13. The family found it hard to make friends. Is this true or false?
1. Why do you think that families move?
2. Do you think that making friends is easy when there are children involved? Why?
3. Is one country truly better than another? Why?
4. How would you describe your skill base? Do you think that your skills can be transferred? Why?
5. What are some of the challenges that people face when they move? Do you think that it's stressful? Why?
6. Is space a compromise for earning less money? Would you sacrifice all your time for money or do you work to live?
7. Do you think that once a family have moved they never look back? or do you think that people still visit the place that they left? Why?
8. Is the process of moving simply too risky at a certain age or that age has no significance? Why?
9. Would you maintain the same traditions or would you adopt new ones? Why?
10. Do you think that people should move to a community or avoid one? Why?
11. Is there such a thing as a perfect sector? Why?
12. What did the author say about money in this story?
13. The author described Canada as being;
14. What did the author say about making friends?
15. How did the author describe the process of moving?
1. You should look for a house ........... a school.
2. You should do your research .......... the internet.
3. Some people are scared to travel ....... plane.
4. I have a meeting with an immigration officer ........ 14.03.15 .. 3pm. The meeting is ...... the Canadian embassy. It's ...... the town centre.
5. There will be ......... 10 applicants there.
I have just moved to Canada, it has been the most significant change in my life. My wife was a nurse in Israel and worked in Tel Aviv for one of the largest hospitals. Having worked there for 15 years, she hopes that her skill base will transfer over in some way to a new position.
We used to live in a very modest apartment but now we have so much space. Obviously we are renting but our money goes so much further and we now have a 3 bedroom house.
Canada is a very beautiful place, it feels like home and my 2 children are settling down at school. I always thought that the language would be the biggest problem but they proved me wrong. My wife Zara is getting help to look for a new job from local recruitment companies. I managed to land on my feet but I think thats due to my background in IT. I managed to find a job working on a consultancy basis. The money is good and theres a promise of a permanent position if they are happy with me.
There is a growing community here with lots of families in the same position so as a family we managed to make friends quickly. I think that a move like the one we made has been a challenge but we are happy and looking forward to settling down.
DEAR MANDI, LET ME SAY YOU A BIG "THANK YOU" FOR YOUR HELP WITH PREPARING ME TO IELTS EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE AND SUPPORT. EVEN WHEN MY HOME WORKS WERE DIFFICULT AND I HAD NO TIME,- I ALWAYS TRIED TO COMPLETE EVERYTHING IN TIME BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO DISAPPOINT YOU. YOU HELPED ME TO BE MORE CONFIDENT IN EACH PART OF THE EXAM, ESPECIALLY IN SPEAKING. IN THE BOTTOM LINE - ALL MY GOAL WERE REACHED! I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT TIME YOU VISIT IN ISRAEL.
I TOOK A LESSON WITH SANJ IN ORDER TO PREPARE TO A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE. SANJ GAVE SOME VERY GOOD TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW AND A BRIEF LESSON TO IMPROVE MY GRAMMAR AND SPEAKING SKILLS. HE ALSO HELPED ME TO FORMULATE BETTER ANSWERS TO COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS – ALL OF THESE IN ONLY ONE HOUR! THE PREPARATION DEFINITELY HELPED ME TO FEEL MORE CONFIDENT AND TO SPEAK MORE FLUENTLY DURING THE INTERVIEW, AND EVENTUALLY TO GET THE JOB!
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU HELPED ME GROW IN MORE THAN ONE DIMENSION. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND PASSION WITH ME IN THE CLASSES – I DIDN’T REALIZE HOW MUCH I HAD LEARNED UNTIL I GOT SUCH A NICE GRADE IN PTE ACADEMIC EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PERSONAL CONCERN FOR ME – YOUR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT WAS INDEED PRICELESS. I HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO BE MANDI’S STUDENT AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE HER EXAM PREPARATION CLASSES.