Listen to the audios and answer the questions.
Audio 1 - Job Hunting
1. The author is
2. What did the author say he felt when he heard about professional networking websites?
3. The author said that everything has changed, which period of time does he refer to?
a. 5 years
b. 2 years
c. A decade
d. 15 Years
e. Not mentioned
4. What did a friend of the author say about HR managers and how they use professional networking sites?
5. The author´s name is;
e. Not stated
6. What did the author say about his work history?
7. What was the name of the author´s friend?
8. How long has the author worked in his present job?
9. Did the authors friends agree or disagree with how long he had stayed in his job for?
10. Which sector does the author work in?
11. Why does the author want to change his job?
12. How does the author describe his job?
13. What is the author´s level of management?
14. The author stated that he was in the process of being made redundant. Is this true or false?
15. What do you think the phrase; "going along with it" means?
q16. The author started his job as a supervisor? Is this true or false?
Job Hunting - Part 2
1. The author received an email about the possibility of a job offer:
a. After a month
b. After 6 weeks
c. After 8 weeks
d. After 2 months
e. Not mentioned
2. Who sent the email?
3. How did the author describe how he felt when he received the email?
4. What instructions were detailed in the email?
5. How long did the author say he waited before he got a response to his email?
6. The author has experience of telephone interviews. Is this true or false?
7. What were the main differences between the 1st and 2nd interviews?
8. The author's 2nd interview was;
a. In London
b. In Germany
c. In Dublin
d. In Madrid
e. Not mentioned
9. How did the author describe the 2nd interview?
1. How do people search for jobs in your country?
2. Telephone interviews don't really give candidates enough time to answer questions.
3. Have you ever found a job from online activity?
4. The character in this story had never used the internet to search for a new job. Do you think that everyone should learn how to apply for a job online? Why?
5. Which sector do you work in and what is your job title?
6. Is there a large company structure where you work?
7. In your opinion should candidates receive feedback from an interviewer? Why?
8. The more experience you have the easier it is to get a job.
9. The more qualified you are the easier it is to get a job.
10. There is too much competition in every sector so people are staying in their jobs for longer periods of time.
11. You are never too old to get a new job.
12. Job descriptions are never accurate.
13. Every employee does the work of two people.
14. People travel further distances in order to have a well paid job.
15. Everyone spends far too much time at work and not enough time enjoying life.
Job Hunting Part 1
Everything seems to have changed so much over the last 10 years. Technology has effected every sector in one way or another. I had never thought about using a professional networking site to look for a new job. One of my friends told me that HR managers often use these sites to select suitable candidates for positions.
Although I went along with the idea, I can't help but feel that the whole world can view all your most valuable personal details online. I've known Steven for such a long time, he is one of my closest friends so it didn't take much convincing to go along with the idea.
I'm nearly 38 years old so I have a good work history. The only thing people tell me is that I have stayed in my job too long. I've been in my current position now for 7 years. Starting at a junior level, I managed to move up the corporate ladder into middle management. working as a manager for a manufacturing company in the pharmaceutical sector, the job is stressful and very demanding. That's one of the reasons I want a change.
Job Hunting Part 2
At least two months passed before I received an email regarding a possible job offer. The email was from one of my companies main competitors. I can't lie, it was exciting and I felt good.
The text said that I should reply if I was interested and that the company would arrange a suitable time and date for a telephone interview. I was curious so I responded the very same day. Within 2 hours from the time I pressed send, I was surprised to have an email in my inbox.Up until that point, the thought of getting an interview from online activity seemed so farfetched.
The company called as they said they would. It was the very first time I had a telephone interview so you can imagine how nervous I was.
It was about a week later when I received another call from the HR department. To my surprise, I had been invited to a second interview but this time at their main office in London.
The type of questions that were asked were more technical and this time they asked me for examples to support my answers. My expectation was that I would have to wait at least until the process of 2nd interviews had been completed before receiving an answer.
I got the job! I couldn't believe it! It goes without saying that I would recommend using professional sites like the one I used.
DEAR MANDI, LET ME SAY YOU A BIG "THANK YOU" FOR YOUR HELP WITH PREPARING ME TO IELTS EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE AND SUPPORT. EVEN WHEN MY HOME WORKS WERE DIFFICULT AND I HAD NO TIME,- I ALWAYS TRIED TO COMPLETE EVERYTHING IN TIME BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO DISAPPOINT YOU. YOU HELPED ME TO BE MORE CONFIDENT IN EACH PART OF THE EXAM, ESPECIALLY IN SPEAKING. IN THE BOTTOM LINE - ALL MY GOAL WERE REACHED! I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT TIME YOU VISIT IN ISRAEL.
I TOOK A LESSON WITH SANJ IN ORDER TO PREPARE TO A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE. SANJ GAVE SOME VERY GOOD TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW AND A BRIEF LESSON TO IMPROVE MY GRAMMAR AND SPEAKING SKILLS. HE ALSO HELPED ME TO FORMULATE BETTER ANSWERS TO COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS – ALL OF THESE IN ONLY ONE HOUR! THE PREPARATION DEFINITELY HELPED ME TO FEEL MORE CONFIDENT AND TO SPEAK MORE FLUENTLY DURING THE INTERVIEW, AND EVENTUALLY TO GET THE JOB!
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU HELPED ME GROW IN MORE THAN ONE DIMENSION. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND PASSION WITH ME IN THE CLASSES – I DIDN’T REALIZE HOW MUCH I HAD LEARNED UNTIL I GOT SUCH A NICE GRADE IN PTE ACADEMIC EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PERSONAL CONCERN FOR ME – YOUR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT WAS INDEED PRICELESS. I HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO BE MANDI’S STUDENT AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE HER EXAM PREPARATION CLASSES.