1. What time is it in this story?
2. The author is:
A. A receptionist
B. A manager
C. A supervisor
D. Not stated
3. Management have:
A. Introduced a telephone policy
B. Introduced a new dress code
C. Introduced a training day
D. Introduced longer lunch breaks
4. The company was taken over:
A. At the beginning of this year
B. At the end of last year
C. At the end of January
D. There was no company take over
5. What did the author describe as being the most significant change?
6. Does the author agree or disagree with the change? Why?
7. Why did other employees who started at the same time decide to leave?
8. What did the author say about change?
9. Where does the author take his coffee breaks? Why?
10. Where is the author going on holiday?
11. How long is he going for?
12. Why is the author taking a holiday with a few friends?
13. When was the last time that the author saw his friends.
14. What is the name of the company featured in this story?
15. How long has the author worked for the company in this story?
16. What does the author think will happen at work at the end of the year?
17. What do you think that the expression;"climbing the ladder" means?
18. What does the phrase; "it's a sure bet" mean?
19. What does the phrase; "stand a good chance" mean.
1. How often do you have an appraisal at work?
2. Do you think that open plan offices have a positive effect on productivity?
3. Who answers the phone at work?
4. Is there a policy on how to answer the phone at work.
5. Where do you prefer to go when you have a coffee break? Why?
6. Do you prefer to have a break with other employees or alone? Why?
7. In this story the author said that he decided to stay in his company for 3 years but that his colleagues decided to leave. Do you think that the author has made the right choice? Why?
8. Do you think that you only get promoted if you spend long hours at work?
9. Which country was the company in this story based in?
10. Does your company have a dress down day? Do you agree with it or disagree with it? Why?
Send an email to your colleague kate, let her know that you have a doctors appointment on Monday the 21st of April. Inform them that you have a meeting at 10:30am with Richard Davis a project manager for a company called " Markforce PLC and ask if they would be kind enough to take the meeting in your place.
Your letter should be informal, brief and factual. Pay attention to your grammar structures and spelling.
1. I'm busy, I am ........ the phone.
2. Could you pass my pen it's ............ my bag.
3. Are you available for a meeting .... the 14th ...... April ......5pm?
4. I hurt my wrist so I can't hold my pen .... my right hand.
5. I live .... an apartment located .... the end ...... Krane road.
6. Turn left ...... Church Street and then when you enter my office block, I am ..... the 3rd floor.
It's 10:15 in the morning and it's my turn on reception, everyone in the office takes turns. Management have a new policy in place, they want every employee to answer the phone in a uniform way.
Since the company was taken over at the end of last year there have been a lot of changes, fortunately for the better. One of the most significant changes has been the office layout, we used to have individual offices and now the office is open plan.
Most people have welcomed the change, they feel that that the team has a better and more efficient work environment. In my personal opinion, I think that there are more distractions and can be counter productive. I don't mind change if it's gradual, I suppose change is necessary in modern business.
Tomorrow is Friday and I don't have to wear a suit, our dress code is smart casual. August in London can be hot and we are not equipped for the heat, the office is not air conditioned so I am thankful that I don't have to wear a shirt and tie.
Most people in the office take a coffee break around 11 but if you are on reception you have to wait till everyone has finished before you take yours. London is far to busy to venture out for a coffee break, there is never enough time so I usually sit in the canteen.
I am taking some annual leave in a few weeks, I booked a 7 day trip to Italy with a few friends. I haven't really had time to see them during the first half of the year so it's a great excuse to catch up.
I joined In House Designs about 3 years ago, I should be in line for a promotion at the end of this year. More money means more responsibility but I need to keep climbing the ladder if I want a successful career in management. Most of the people I started with changed company in order to get a pay rise so if I am lucky enough to get one without doing the same then I am winning. It's not a sure bet but I think that I stand a good chance.
DEAR MANDI, LET ME SAY YOU A BIG "THANK YOU" FOR YOUR HELP WITH PREPARING ME TO IELTS EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE AND SUPPORT. EVEN WHEN MY HOME WORKS WERE DIFFICULT AND I HAD NO TIME,- I ALWAYS TRIED TO COMPLETE EVERYTHING IN TIME BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO DISAPPOINT YOU. YOU HELPED ME TO BE MORE CONFIDENT IN EACH PART OF THE EXAM, ESPECIALLY IN SPEAKING. IN THE BOTTOM LINE - ALL MY GOAL WERE REACHED! I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT TIME YOU VISIT IN ISRAEL.
I TOOK A LESSON WITH SANJ IN ORDER TO PREPARE TO A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE. SANJ GAVE SOME VERY GOOD TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW AND A BRIEF LESSON TO IMPROVE MY GRAMMAR AND SPEAKING SKILLS. HE ALSO HELPED ME TO FORMULATE BETTER ANSWERS TO COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS – ALL OF THESE IN ONLY ONE HOUR! THE PREPARATION DEFINITELY HELPED ME TO FEEL MORE CONFIDENT AND TO SPEAK MORE FLUENTLY DURING THE INTERVIEW, AND EVENTUALLY TO GET THE JOB!
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU HELPED ME GROW IN MORE THAN ONE DIMENSION. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND PASSION WITH ME IN THE CLASSES – I DIDN’T REALIZE HOW MUCH I HAD LEARNED UNTIL I GOT SUCH A NICE GRADE IN PTE ACADEMIC EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PERSONAL CONCERN FOR ME – YOUR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT WAS INDEED PRICELESS. I HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO BE MANDI’S STUDENT AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE HER EXAM PREPARATION CLASSES.