Audio coming soon!
A listening module from the English For Work Course. You will hear a Project Manager talking to his team. Listen to the audio, we recommend taking notes as you will have to answer questions at the end.
1. What part of the day is it in this story?
2. What does "go through" mean?"
3. What does "backbone" mean?"
4. What stage of the project is the project currently at?
5. What does "rocking the boat" mean?
6. What does "around the clock" mean?
7. What does "tied up" mean?
8. What was the purpose of the meeting in this story?
9. What was stage 1 of the project about?
10. What will stage 2 of the project be about?
11. What does " making a dent on the workload" mean?
12. What are the names of the two people who will be excluded from stage 2 of the project?
13. If someone is unsure about their tasks, who should they see?
14. What does "shaping up" mean?
15. At the end of this story, the speaker asked everyone if they had any questions that they would like to ask. Did anyone ask a question?
16. What date has been set for the next meeting?
1. Have you ever had a morning meeting?
2. Do you think, morning meetings are effective or a waste of time?
3. Do you think that stage one is always an easy stage?
4. If you were in charge of this meeting, would you have done anything differently or do you think that the project manager did a good job? Why?
1. This meeting was held ....... the morning.
2. The next meeting will be held ...... ....... 21st. It will be ..... a Monday.
3. This team is ...... stage 1 of the project.
4. ...... ...... this team, Kathy was selected to issue task sheets.
5. Timelines are always challenging ...... projects.
6. Planning is often done ............ Stage 1 of a project.
7. A project management team is always involved ....... every stage.
8. If a project is ..... Time and ....... budget it's ....... target.
Explain the following text:
This project has been the most challenging in my career. Behind the scenes, we have been working relentlessly to complete stage 1 in line with our timescales. There are so many consultants involved, sometimes I think that they rock the boat and upset the companies employees.
We don't always see eye to eye when it comes to planning but we try to meet half way. I have a meeting with all the consultants next week to discuss progress. These meetings are critical if we want to stay ahead of the game.
Simon, the project lead thinks that we have too many meetings but you need to fight to stay ahead of the curve so they are very necessary to the process in my opinion.
1. Meetings are only effective if they are held regularly
2. Employees always disagree with consultants
3. You can never reach a goal unless you're realistic
4. Perfectionists loose sight of costs
5. Too many meetings can be counterproductive
6. A good project manager is one who can switch off and focus on something other than the project.
audio - coming soon!
You will hear a project manager calling a company and interacting with a secretary. Listen to the audio and answer the questions. This audio will help build your listening skills.
1. What was the Project Managers name?
2. What was the date that had been previously set for the meeting?
3. What was the name of the company featured in this story?
4. What was the client's name?
5. When was the last time the Project Manager spoke to the client?
6. What was the purpose of the call?
7. What time was the meeting scheduled for?
8. In this story, the project manager gave the client a list of things he should bring to the meeting. What was on the list?
9. If there were any changes, what should the client do?
10. What were the client's contact details?
1. The meeting is __ 21.08.16 at __ 3:30 __ the afternoon.
2. The meeting __ this story is __ a project.
3. If the client had any questions __ the project manager, he should contact him __ email or call him __ his mobile.
4. Clients often have questions that they need to ask __ a meeting.
5. __ general, most Project Managers work long hours and often have a lot __ meetings.
6. __ all the Project Managers who work __ Alpha Technologies, Andrew is the one who manages international clients.
7. This meeting is to discuss a project __ more detail. It's also an opportunity to ask questions __ stage 1 starts.
8. __ 2016, Alpha Technologies increased international sales __ 25%, compared to the same quarter last year.
1. Technology will replace Project Managers in the future.
2. There are too many variables for a project to be completed on time and on budget.
3. Project Managers work longer hours compared to a decade ago.
4. Most projects are outsourced, it's cheaper and companies have greater control.
5. Most companies want to develop international markets because national markets are far too competitive.
6. Virtual meetings are a trend that is becoming more popular.
7. Project Managers are perfectionists, their expectations are too high and unrealistic.
8. The age group for Project Managers is getting younger.
9. Outsourced Project Managers are more efficient than internal ones.
1. Can you tell me a little bit __ yourself?
2. How many people are __ your team?
3. What has been your biggest challenge __ your career ?
4. Where do you see yourself __ five years from now?
5. Have you ever worked __ international clients?
6. __ all the applicants for this position, why should I hire you?
7. If I asked your team to describe you, what would they say __ you?
8. So, I can see that you have been __ Your current position __ 2015
9. Why are you interested __ this position.
10. Have you had a look __ the job description?
11. Can I offer you a coffee __ we start?
12. Allow me to introduce you __ Stewart Smith, he is our department manager and is responsible __ international projects.
13. Are you familiar __ windows 10?
14. _____ to your cv, I see that you have experience dealing with troubleshooting projects.
15. What have you done ____ you left your position __ 2012.
16. Would you consider relocating __ our office __ Paris?
17. ___ someone who would be responsible for a client portfolio, could you indicate your level __ autonomy you have __ your current position.
1. I currently work __ a company called Alpha Technologies, where I am an assistant Project Manager. I am responsible __ managing a team __ four consisting of one intern and three junior project managers. I'm currently looking __ a new challenge where I can widen my experience and expand my knowledge.
2. __ 2016 I have been involved with ___ 8 international projects primarily __ the banking and finance sector.
3. I report directly __ a senior project manager.
4. If I had to name a weakness, I would say that it's my attention __ detail. On occasions, this has cost me time but I am attending an external course to help me to manage my time.
5. In the future, I hope to have more autonomy and more involvement __ the decision-making process.
6. I am looking __ a salary that reflects my level of experience and my qualifications. If I had to state a figure it would be __ 38k plus some form of a bonus.
7. I'm based __ the London office.
8. I do have a question that I would like to ask you. I read online that you are looking for expansion __ Europe. Could you tell me a little more __ the expansion program that is __ place?
9. Usually, I have a team briefing __ least twice a week. I set daily, weekly and monthly objectives for every member of my team and review performance __ the end of each day. I am passionate __ training and have the privilege of writing all the company training material.
10. Delegating tasks help me to manage my time and maintain a high standard __ service and aftercare.
DEAR MANDI, LET ME SAY YOU A BIG "THANK YOU" FOR YOUR HELP WITH PREPARING ME TO IELTS EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE AND SUPPORT. EVEN WHEN MY HOME WORKS WERE DIFFICULT AND I HAD NO TIME,- I ALWAYS TRIED TO COMPLETE EVERYTHING IN TIME BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO DISAPPOINT YOU. YOU HELPED ME TO BE MORE CONFIDENT IN EACH PART OF THE EXAM, ESPECIALLY IN SPEAKING. IN THE BOTTOM LINE - ALL MY GOAL WERE REACHED! I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT TIME YOU VISIT IN ISRAEL.
I TOOK A LESSON WITH SANJ IN ORDER TO PREPARE TO A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE. SANJ GAVE SOME VERY GOOD TIPS FOR THE INTERVIEW AND A BRIEF LESSON TO IMPROVE MY GRAMMAR AND SPEAKING SKILLS. HE ALSO HELPED ME TO FORMULATE BETTER ANSWERS TO COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS – ALL OF THESE IN ONLY ONE HOUR! THE PREPARATION DEFINITELY HELPED ME TO FEEL MORE CONFIDENT AND TO SPEAK MORE FLUENTLY DURING THE INTERVIEW, AND EVENTUALLY TO GET THE JOB!
I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU HELPED ME GROW IN MORE THAN ONE DIMENSION. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND PASSION WITH ME IN THE CLASSES – I DIDN’T REALIZE HOW MUCH I HAD LEARNED UNTIL I GOT SUCH A NICE GRADE IN PTE ACADEMIC EXAM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PERSONAL CONCERN FOR ME – YOUR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT WAS INDEED PRICELESS. I HAVE BEEN VERY FORTUNATE TO BE MANDI’S STUDENT AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE HER EXAM PREPARATION CLASSES.